Read Message

David M: score one more for docuscan

Docuscan continues to be my go to program for PDF files. I needed to access a file which contained several individual reports in it. When I opened it with adobe, I was only able to read the first report. I then tried Docuscan and I was able to read the entire file. I saved it as an RTF so that I could archive it where I needed to.

Is Docuscan still being sold? If so, it should probably be publicized a bit more, as I think there would still be a market for it.

Date:

Shawn Bever (Pneuma Solutions Staff): Re: score one more for docuscan

Yes, DocuScan Plus is still being sold, and we have a large base of dedicated users. We also offer Scribe for Documents, which is a browser-based document remediation service that allows you to upload documents in 18 different formats and quickly convert them into any of 8 different formats in a much more accessible state. Outputs include HTML, PDF, Word, MP3 audio, Daisy audio book, Epub, BRF AND MOBI.

If you want to learn more, visit https://pneumasolutions.com/scribe

Date:

Sebby: Re: score one more for docuscan

It's really weird that DocuScan and Scribe have no integration whatsoever, though. Like, you can't access the documents stored by one in the other, or use cloud OCR in DocuScan that consumes Scribe credits, or really just benefit in any way from the fact that you've purchased one in the other. DocuScan is a completely separate, and seemingly abandoned, consumer line. Which, I suppose, is fine, just one of those things I'd put on the wishlist to change. Another is local OCR on macOS, because while cloud OCR has its upsides, it obviously comes with a pretty big privacy downside. At least it's free when used, because it's not optional on macOS. It's definitely a standout feature for a blindness product to be so consistently cloud-powered, though, and especially one with such a lengthy support lifecycle and, if you prefer, an upfront purchase price. I wonder, though, how sustainable that is.

Date:

Shawn Bever (Pneuma Solutions Staff): Re: score one more for docuscan

I understand why the lack of overlap between DocuScan Plus and Scribe feels odd from a customer perspective, especially around things like shared document access, OCR options, or credit usage.

At the moment, DocuScan Plus and Scribe are separate product lines with different architectures and workflows. DocuScan Plus remains available and supported, but it is a mature product focused primarily on stability, maintenance, and continued access for customers who rely on it. Because of that, there are not currently plans to build new integrations or shared interfaces between DocuScan Plus and Scribe.

That said, your points are fair ones. Local OCR on macOS, privacy considerations around cloud OCR, and the broader question of how OCR services are delivered over a long support lifecycle are all useful feedback. I can’t get into future roadmap specifics here, but I will make sure this feedback is noted.

Date: