Read Message

Abbie Taylor: The Ducks Speak

Here's a poem on my blog that was recently published in The Weekly Avocet. If you click on the link below, you'll not only read the poem, but you'll find out what inspired it.

What do you remember about ducks? When I was growing up in Tucson, Arizona, we often visited a local park's duck pond. One of my younger brother's nursery school teachers gave us a duckling, which we raised , then deposited in the pond a few months later, where he happily joined other ducks. I hope this blog post rings back memories for you.

https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com/2026/05/19/the-ducks-speak-tuesdaytreasures-poetry-inspiration/

Date:

Snow Bunny: Re: The Ducks Speak

Love the description! Beth

Date:

Abbie Taylor: Re: The Ducks Speak

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Connie Grace: Re: The Ducks Speak

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Donna M: Re: The Ducks Speak

When Cleve and Nathan travel to a lake and listen for ducks to speak, the next thing they do is try to shoot them. When they succeed, they end up being brought home, soaked in salt water, and wrapped for freezing until I make soup with them. We depend on Alaska to provide birds, fish and moose for us to eat. I rarely buy beef or chicken because they are quite costly here, though I sometimes miss them.

Having said all that, I thought your poem was interesting, Abbie. It reminds us that it's important to be aware of nature as the seasons change. I've been happy lately to hear birds chirping outside our windows, and to feel the actual warmth of the sun. Today, we walked outside in that warm sunshine, and I rejoiced in the fact that the wind wasn't blowing, so I could actually feel that warmth on my face.

Date:

Scott D: Re: The Ducks Speak

I haven't had it for quite some time, but since I've had Chinese food recently, and will be having it again on my Birthday, this is rather timely! The only time that I can remember ever having duck to eat was a Chinese dish called Mugu Gaipan, I hope that I got that spelling correct. I didn't like it all that much.

Date: