Read Message

Abbie Taylor: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Do you remember any of the meals in this video? I'll share my memories later. Enjoy, and happy eating!

https://youtu.be/bCzm9I-J0Nc?is=kYCXGFvAKvZmV8Vq

Date:

Connie Grace: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Abbie Taylor: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Scott D: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

It took me a while to remember this! I've been trying to get there eversense this was posted, but for some reason couldn't vring it up. But I filtered things out last night, and remembered that my grandmother would make something called red-eyed gravy for breakfast when we'd come up and stay for the night. You may already know this, but the ingredient that gives it its name is coffee!

Date:

Snow Bunny: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Donna, you about made me hungry & so did you, Scott, lol! We used to get a smoked ham every Christmas from Granddaddy in Tennessee & Mom made red-eye gravy from the ham drippings after the ham was cooked, magnificent! I don't think she used coffee. If she did, I didn't taste it. She made the best biscuits with Bisquick & she poured the gravy over the biscuits, yum! Beth

Date:

Scott D: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Beth, I did just recently finish breakfast, and I'm still enjoying a coffee in a new cup that my sister gave me for my Birthday, and yet, you mentioning that ham is making my mouth water. No, you didn't taste the coffee in the red-eyed gravy. That's just the ingredient which gives it its name.

Date:

Snow Bunny: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Ha ha, Scott! What is your new cup like? I love Tervis Tumblers, plastic, with really good lids & they fit my Keurig. They are good quality plastic, hard, they would float if they landed in a pool with the lid on tightly, they do not break easily. Beth

Date:

Scott D: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

This is going to sound horrible right now, but by now you've probably figured out that I'm not high on details! If they told me the color, I don't remember. But they might not have considering color doesn't mean to much to me. I think that it is a tumbler! I can tell you that it isn't as tall or wide as the one I had before it. But this one keeps things hot much longer than the other one! Right before I came in here to check Sero I finished drinking a cupful that I started right around 4!

Date:

Donna M: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

I have discovered a unique way of cooking and mashing potatoes. I like to use red ones. The skins are so thin that I don't even peel them. I cut each one in half, then slice each half into thin slices one way, then turn it so I can slice it thinly again and end up with tiny pieces. While I'm slicing the potatoes, I have 2 sticks of butter melting in a small crockpot. When I have sliced enough potatoes, I place them in the crockpot and let them cook on high for several hours. When they are nice and tender, I use a metal potato masher. Since the crockpot is small, I don't have to chase the potatoes; the masher pretty much flattens everything in that small space without me having to move it around. After they are well mashed, I add some sea salt and mash them a little more to mix it in.

If I decide to use this method when I'm cooking for more people, I'll need to put them in my 4 quart crockpot, which will mean I'll need to make sure I get all of them with my masher by moving it around within that larger space, and I might need to use another stick or two of butter. I don't use milk, because I've heard that milk doesn't do well in a crockpot, though I suppose I could put some in while I'm mashing them if I'm serving them as soon as they're done.

This mihgt sound a bit wacky, but I'm curious to know what you think of my method.

Date:

Abbie Taylor: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Donna M: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Yes, I do start them in the morning or early afternoon so they're ready for dinner. In my way of thinking, that's just one thing out of the way that I don't need to worry about while I do whatever else we're having. The last time I did it, we used the George Forman grill Cleve gave me for Christmas last year to cook a flank steak he received from our church as a Fathers' Day gift. I threw a can of corn in a kettle and boiled that as our vegetable, and dinner was served--and, by the way, the steak was delicious! The potatoes were good as well with all that butter melted into them. I'm not sure why we had a can of corn, because we usually buy frozen vegetables, but it was a nice treat that yielded no leftovers!

Date:

Snow Bunny: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Yum, sounds delicious, Donna! We sometimes have small taters with skins here, not mashed, I don't remember the name, will tell you next time we have them, really good! Beth

Date:

Marti B.: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Abbie Taylor: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Connie Grace: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date:

Scott D: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

I don't know! I think that I've told you that I've never cared for turnip greens, but if you were to heap it on, and drowned the suckers into that chocolate gravy I might just give it a try!

Date:

Donna M: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Marty, I would love your chocolate gravy recipe if you feel like sharing it.

Date:

gina a: Re: 15 gravy meals your grandma might have made.

Listen to this voice message.

Date: