Read Message
Abbie Taylor: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
- Date:
gina a: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
- Date:
Connie Grace: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
- Date:
Snow Bunny: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
Oh yes, I went for walks with either or both parents, we would go to the duck pond near our house & feed old bread to the ducks, I seem to remember that they would snatch it out of your hand sometimes but I was too afraid they would get my finger to try for that. Sundaes are not for me, I love chocolate ice cream & chocolate milkshakes. Beth
- Date:
Scott D: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
Hello there ladies & gentlemen, yes I'm back! Beth, I'm right there with you about fearing the ducks! I told you about growing up with the attack duck! At this point I was greatful for the blindness! I could hear the one duck as it came after my father while he'd be pushing me, and that sort of took away the worries of whether or not a duck would nick my fingers while I was dropping bread bites.
- Date:
Donna M: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
As far as walking with my father goes, that, to my memory, never happened. However, we did ride together on the tandum bike we had to his grandmother's house one day. Unfortunately, my dad was a bit tipsy, and tried to do a wheeley on this unwieldy bike with predictable results. We crash landed on cement, and I got scraped up. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I was fairly young, so this was a traumatic experience for me. I believe we walked to her house after that.
Now, I should tell you that she and her husband came to America from Italy. She never really learned English, but could speak it in broken sentences. When she saw me, she started cleaning and fixing me up. Her hands were as gentle as could be, but her voice as she scolded my father inItalian was anything but gentle. His responses were soft and short. Basically agreeing to everything she said.
The experience ended well for me. I received money and some delicious cookies from my "Nanna", and I believe we walked the bike home.
Now, a radical change in subject matter. I am an inveterate chocolate lover, but I think I agree with you that vanilla icecream goes well with hot fudge or chocolate syrrup.
- Date:
Snow Bunny: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
My grandma on Daddy's side, who I never knew, also came from Italy & he was always her translator. He & my mom lived with her after they married until she died. I never biked, since I do not have the balance for it. Beth
- Date:
Scott D: Re: Fathers and daughters and strawberry sundaes
LOL I love the story about your Great Grandmother! It reminded me of something that I'd planned to share with you. While we were on the ship trying to get from one place to another there was a time when a lady speaking a foreign language passed by and she was going 90 to nothing! I think that it was probably Italian, but I have no way of knowing this for sure! Anyway, I loved it! I was imagining that she was probably talking to a female friend about one of those pesky husbands back on land!
- Date: