Read Message
bigmike
You don’t need everyone to understand
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? – Galatians 1:10
It can be surprisingly hard to obey God when the people around you do not understand what you are doing.
I remember when I made the decision to transition to telemedicine. It was a big change, and not everyone necessarily understood why I was making it. And when people start asking questions about a decision you’ve made, it’s easy to start questioning yourself too.
Am I making the right decision? What will people think? What if they don’t agree?
There is wisdom in listening to godly counsel, especially from people who know you well. But there comes a point when obedience cannot depend on unanimous approval.
Paul understood this tension. His life was not built around keeping everyone comfortable with his choices. He wanted to please God.
If you have prayed, searched Scripture, sought wise counsel, and believe God is leading you, you may have to accept that some people will not understand. You do not need to become defensive or dismissive. You can stay humble and teachable while still moving forward.
Following Jesus sometimes means being misunderstood without becoming bitter about it. Your responsibility is not to convince everyone. Your responsibility is to remain faithful to God.
Prayer: Lord, make me humble enough to listen and courageous enough to obey when obedience is costly. Amen.
Reflection: Whose approval has become too important in a decision you are facing?
- Date: