Read Message

bigmike

Make more room to listen
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. – John 10:27
Have you ever said, “I just wish I could hear God more clearly”?
I have.
But lately I’ve been thinking about how often I ask God to speak while filling nearly every quiet moment of my day with another voice.
A podcast in the car. My phone while I wait. Instagram when I have five free minutes. Music while I work. There is almost always something competing for my attention.
None of those things are necessarily wrong. But sometimes I wonder if the problem isn’t that God is silent. Maybe my life is just really loud.
Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
Learning to recognize God’s voice requires making room to listen. We need time in His Word. We need prayer. But we also need moments when we stop consuming, stop scrolling, stop filling the silence, and simply become still before God.
You don’t have to listen to every voice that wants your attention.
Maybe today you need to put your phone in another room. Turn off the podcast. Take a walk without your headphones. Open your Bible and sit with one passage instead of rushing to the next thing.
God may not be asking you to add something else to your already busy life.
Maybe He’s inviting you to turn something down so you can hear Him more clearly.
Prayer: Jesus, help me recognize the noise that is distracting me from you. Teach me to become still, listen to your voice, and follow where you lead. Amen.
Reflection: What is one thing you can turn down today to make more room to listen to God?
Lina Abujamra

Date: